Concord, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: My wife agree not interested in the house and she agree to sign off if we get divorce we don’t have to fight on the

Property . Could you please provide me the process thank you very much?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The process for a divorce starts with a "Petition." This is what it looks like: This is just the beginning paper. You need many others and you should get advice on how to fill them out. If you and your wife are in full agreement on all issues in the divorce including what to do with the house, then you would sign a "Marital Settlement Agreement." That is done later in the case.

If you want to try to do this yourself, try a book by Nolo Press: I get no referral fee for sending you to this book. That is one choice.

A second choice is to go to the Self-Help Center:

All 58 counties in California have some type of Self-Help Center. The people at the Self-Help Center help you fill out family law forms for free. They can’t do everything in family law, but they will help you with all the basics. The downside is that they don’t have a lot of time to spend with you, and often there is a line to get in to see them. The upside is that it is free. So if you have more time than money, go to the Self-Help Center for divorce, custody, visitation, paternity and domestic violence paperwork.

Your third choice: But if you want a more thorough in-depth help, it is recommended that you see a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.