Pembroke, MA asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury and Small Claims for Massachusetts

Q: Does using a person’s deadname in a school yearbook constitute any legal action?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Massachusetts attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. In terms of practicality, it would be a case that presents challenges. In terms of textbook law, it could depend on the mental state with which it was done, on one end being innocent oversight to the other end being malicious or cruel intent. It could also hinge upon being able to substantiate damages. In a textbook sense, one could make arguments based on privacy violations or intentional infliction of emotional distress. But the reality is that it does not appear to be the type of case that many attorneys would handle on a contingency basis - so you have to ask yourself if you would want to pay an office an hourly fee to pursue it. You could see if you could arrange a free or limited initial consult with Massachusetts attorneys to see what they think. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.