Pickerington, OH asked in Health Care Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: I'm 17 and have an eating disorder. Can I legally refuse treatment? If not, can I refuse when I turn 18?

My parents have threatened to get a guardianship if I relapse again. Can I refuse treatment at 17 if I'm in a guardianship? What if I'm 18 and in a guardianship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Parents make decisions for a minor, including medical treatments. They decisions can be enforced by a court. At age 18, if the court appoints a guardian, then the guardian makes those decisions, and the court can enforce them. If you overcome the disorder through successful treatment programs to which you adhere, then a guardian should not be necessary and can be terminated if sufficient progress is proven to the satisfaction of the court. But if there is a relapse, a guardian could be appointed again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.