Norman, OK asked in Contracts, Family Law and Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: My husband and I did not receive premarital counseling before we married on May 10, 2023. Do we have a valid contract??

My fully paid for home in Moore was destroyed by a tornado 10 days after we married. The proceeds from that ($250,000) were invested in the husband’s property. Can I get any of that property back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The first question is a hypothetical, which I can't answer since I don't know what the law will in May of 2023. The second question is that if the original home that was destroyed had your name on the deed, or was by financial equity of some kind marital property then you have a pretty good chance of clawing back some of the property value in the new home. Tough questions because there is so much more information needed to really give you a complete answer. You should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.