Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Do I need an attorney to do a writ of assistance to obtain personal property and money over 10,000.00?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Feb 22, 2022

Oklahoma allows pro se representation so no you do not have to use a lawyer. However I would advise you to use one because there are a lot of things that can get missed if you are not familiar with the process.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If person buying a car gives you a small amount to hold the car, then doesn't pay the full price did u legally sell it

okay guy wanted to buy an old pickup we had, we agreed to a purchase and he gave me $100 to hold it while he got the money. Instead he came back and just took the truck. I still have the title he did no paperwork. The police said that he didn't steal the car I sold it to him for $100. That... Read more »

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta answered on Dec 23, 2021

It appears you have a few issues that must be addressed. One is whether a crime was committed - which if so the police could enter the vehicle as stolen in the national database. Another is whether you had a valid contract with the purchaser. Third, is whether an actual sale of the vehicle... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: In oklahoma, if you have a contract with another person but only one person signs the paper, is it still legal?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Nov 11, 2021

Contract is formed when two parties have a mutual agreement and consideration. This is why oral contracts are technically still a valid contract. However, since you have attempted to formalize it with a document, this leads the courts to believe that an agreement is made when both parties have... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How can I get 7/11 or the suspect(s) to be held liable for damages to my vehicle and PTSD?

My car was caught in the crossfire of a shooting that occurred at a 7/11 a month ago. My car suffered damage, and I was indeed in my vehicle the time of the shooting. Luckily, I did not have any physical injuries. I am needing direction on how and who to hold responsible for my damages.

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta answered on Nov 8, 2021

For restitution for the damages to your vehicle, contact the DA's office prosecuting the individuals who were shooting. If you don't know if charges have been filed, you can contact the police department to inquire. The DA's office will generally have you fill out and submit a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Government Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Long term sub in process of provisional sped cert, signed 3 year contract. Can I get out of it? Never received copy.

I still need 18 credit hours or M.Ed sped. I am being paid as a long term sub in moore public schools and they say they will back pay me once certified.. I am in the ok st dept sped bootcamp. I was offered a different state job with benefits that I really need and if I wait for my provisional... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 16, 2021

Depending on your contract. There may potentially be a clause releasing either party from the agreement. However, like wise there may be a financial obligation/penalty to execute that clause.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Can someone from out of state put a lien on our property for money he invested with no contract?

Had a guy that wanted to help us start our small business and invested some money but refused a contract. The business didn't play out the way he wanted after 7 months and wants all his money back. We hadn't made anything so se sold the assets he bought and sent him the money but is now... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 31, 2021

Usually, someone has to have a judgment to place a lien on your property when there is a dispute over money. In order to obtain a money judgment he would need to file a lawsuit and serve you with it. You would have the right to defend the suit and the Judge would determine if you owe him money or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Hello! I run a small business in OK teaching out of a home and am needing to let an employee go. I need help legally!

If the employee signed an at-will agreement, does that mean I can let them go without explanation? The reason is bc they are causing dissent among staff but there is no real way to prove it. I cannot say they are lying without proof but we know they are due to other facts. Can we fire them for... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Aug 29, 2021

Regardless of good cause or not, you can still be sued. That doesn’t mean the other person will win but you still have to defend it. As far as Oklahoma is concerned we are an at-will state meaning you can terminate an employee at will, so long as it does not fall under the discrimination... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: How do i file a lawsuit and potentially file an embezzlement charge on my business partner and possibly our investor?

Can a managing business partner create a Distribution Agreement that circumvents company percentage ownership, clearly favoring his pocketbook?

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 17, 2021

An embezzlement charge would be file by the District Attorney or a Federal Prosecutor. You would need an attorney to file a lawsuit for you.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: do i need to give advanced notice to landlord if i a specified end lease date?

i have paid all rent and fees up until end lease date and they want to automatically renew

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Aug 10, 2021

Depending on your contract, there are usually clauses that automatically convert it into a monthly term contract. Additionally, they often all require a notice to be given to avoid that extension. While your specifics may differ, you need to contact a lawyer to review your contract more in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma can a creditor or a repo man pay somebody to tell them where a car is that's up for repo?
Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jul 13, 2021

I am not aware of any law that would prohibit this so I believe they could.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Bought a rv and signed paperwork now told interest rate was wrong and need to sign new paperwork is this legal?

We bought a travel trailer from a dealership and looked over paperwork and agreed upon the interest rate and payment, signed and took possession of the rv and 3 days later they call and say the paperwork was wrong and interest rate and payments are going to be higher. Is this legal after already... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should have an attorney review the contract and other documents that you signed but generally contracts are binding upon the parties and they can't change the terms.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: What exactly makes a contract binding, and what legality surrounds verbal agreements?

My sister and her partner entered a contract written up by their friend, the friend, upon receiving the full amount of money will sign over everything in a building to them. However, I believe a verbal agreement was made that a full set of items would be included, yet the items were not in the... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jun 11, 2021

Verbal contracts are enforceable. However, they are harder to enforce. You would have to file a lawsuit against the party that didn't perform under the terms of the verbal contract. You would need witnesses to testify in court of the verbal contract and the terms. The judge would determine if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: ) I have questions regarding the validity of a judgement in Canadian Co. from 2009 that according

To the title company would be subject to being satisfied from my portion of the real estate equity, just recently having acquired, in a joint tenancy along with my sister and one of their spouses, days prior to my moms death she requested we file a deed transferring ownership. The judgement is in... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Apr 15, 2021

Judgments can be liens on real property of the judgment debtor once they are filed of record. Generally, the lien lasts for 5 years but they can be extended for successive 5 year periods. You would have to consult with an attorney with all of your documents to determine if the judgment is still a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: How can I get power of attorney if my son is mentally unstable and can't comprehend. He needs to be inpatient.

He needs help and he has kidney failure plus seizures. He needs someone help. And how can I get power of attorney with out his signature

Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown answered on Mar 22, 2021


I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation. Rather than a power of attorney, it sounds like you need a guardianship over your son. From your question, I take it that your son is not a minor.

The Oklahoma Bar Association has some helpful information about...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Client wants refund even though the were happy with remodel and didn’t want to pay me for additional services they knew

Client added work on and agreed to price but when I gave them a bill for the added services they suddenly decided they weren’t happy with work anymore and wanted full refund. I offered to come out and look at it but they didn’t want me to try to make anything right. They just want money back.... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Mar 19, 2021

You should seek the advice of an attorney. The answer is too fact intensive to give any sort of answer. Depending on the dollar mount you might consider mediation to litigation. Good luck.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: sister defrauds my share of late moms house sales (1/3 of40k) sells house without my knowledge

I live in Oklahoma county, oklahoma. I was reading about your personal representative deed. my estranged sister sold my late mothers house without my knowledge or acceptance. I looked up the deed online and it lists a personal representative deed. how is this possible that she was able to sell my... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Feb 11, 2021

Well first, the house is sold and there is nothing to do about that assuming it was sold to someone not related. As far as your portion of the sale/estate, this would have all been completed during the probate procedure. If your sister did not fulfill her legal obligation then you 'may or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Antitrust and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Before my father passed he verbally left me an RV but never addressed in the will, now being denied by exec.

Do I have any legitimate claim if it had been the understanding by all parties ? Sister has POA and mother is alive and we’re both aware of his wishes.but denying my receipt of the asset. What recourse do I have .

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 8, 2020

In a very vague answer, anything that is not specified in the will goes to the estate for distribution. If the RV is not listed anywhere, then the RV would pass to your mother as the surviving spouse due to it being marital property. There are always exceptions to the general rules and you should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a non profit church who owns an apartment complex raise the rent for no reason ?

Especially when the place is falling apart

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm answered on Nov 19, 2020

The short answer is that if the current tenant has no lease then there would be nothing to stop the church from raising the rent. This is a matter of contract law, so if the church wants to enter into a contract for lease at a higher monthly rent, they surely can do so. However, to be sure you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Contracts, Traffic Tickets and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My 17 yr old daughter lost control of her car while passing in a passing zone. She totaled her car and no other vehicles

The highway patrol officer got her insurance verifications and license info she received a ticket for passing in the left lane without sufficient space or visibility. She never signed anything or gave permission for her signature electronically nor did I and as a juvenile shouldn't one of us... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 12, 2020

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. I hope your daughter is okay. As a general matter, drivers under 18 can receive tickets, and a ticket not being signed by recipient doesn't generally serve to diminish its legal effect. If you haven't... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: entered into a rental agreement over the phone. No signed lease. Have major water septic issues do I have to pay rent

I have text messages where he stated we would work out rent after the water and plumbing was fixed. Now he is refusing to move forward fixing problems till I pay two months rent that was not our agreement what grounds do I have to stand on?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 31, 2020

Unless you have a written lease agreement the "grounds you have to stand on" are commonly called quicksand. In the absence of a written lease, your landlord can evict you at any time unless you continue to pay rent; withholding rent is a sure-fire way to get evicted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.