Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: How can I get power of attorney if my son is mentally unstable and can't comprehend. He needs to be inpatient.

He needs help and he has kidney failure plus seizures. He needs someone help. And how can I get power of attorney with out his signature

Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown answered on Mar 22, 2021


I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation. Rather than a power of attorney, it sounds like you need a guardianship over your son. From your question, I take it that your son is not a minor.

The Oklahoma Bar Association has some helpful information about...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Client wants refund even though the were happy with remodel and didn’t want to pay me for additional services they knew

Client added work on and agreed to price but when I gave them a bill for the added services they suddenly decided they weren’t happy with work anymore and wanted full refund. I offered to come out and look at it but they didn’t want me to try to make anything right. They just want money back.... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Mar 19, 2021

You should seek the advice of an attorney. The answer is too fact intensive to give any sort of answer. Depending on the dollar mount you might consider mediation to litigation. Good luck.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: sister defrauds my share of late moms house sales (1/3 of40k) sells house without my knowledge

I live in Oklahoma county, oklahoma. I was reading about your personal representative deed. my estranged sister sold my late mothers house without my knowledge or acceptance. I looked up the deed online and it lists a personal representative deed. how is this possible that she was able to sell my... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Feb 11, 2021

Well first, the house is sold and there is nothing to do about that assuming it was sold to someone not related. As far as your portion of the sale/estate, this would have all been completed during the probate procedure. If your sister did not fulfill her legal obligation then you 'may or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Antitrust and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Before my father passed he verbally left me an RV but never addressed in the will, now being denied by exec.

Do I have any legitimate claim if it had been the understanding by all parties ? Sister has POA and mother is alive and we’re both aware of his wishes.but denying my receipt of the asset. What recourse do I have .

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 8, 2020

In a very vague answer, anything that is not specified in the will goes to the estate for distribution. If the RV is not listed anywhere, then the RV would pass to your mother as the surviving spouse due to it being marital property. There are always exceptions to the general rules and you should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a non profit church who owns an apartment complex raise the rent for no reason ?

Especially when the place is falling apart

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm answered on Nov 19, 2020

The short answer is that if the current tenant has no lease then there would be nothing to stop the church from raising the rent. This is a matter of contract law, so if the church wants to enter into a contract for lease at a higher monthly rent, they surely can do so. However, to be sure you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Contracts, Traffic Tickets and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My 17 yr old daughter lost control of her car while passing in a passing zone. She totaled her car and no other vehicles

The highway patrol officer got her insurance verifications and license info she received a ticket for passing in the left lane without sufficient space or visibility. She never signed anything or gave permission for her signature electronically nor did I and as a juvenile shouldn't one of us... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 12, 2020

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. I hope your daughter is okay. As a general matter, drivers under 18 can receive tickets, and a ticket not being signed by recipient doesn't generally serve to diminish its legal effect. If you haven't... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: entered into a rental agreement over the phone. No signed lease. Have major water septic issues do I have to pay rent

I have text messages where he stated we would work out rent after the water and plumbing was fixed. Now he is refusing to move forward fixing problems till I pay two months rent that was not our agreement what grounds do I have to stand on?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 31, 2020

Unless you have a written lease agreement the "grounds you have to stand on" are commonly called quicksand. In the absence of a written lease, your landlord can evict you at any time unless you continue to pay rent; withholding rent is a sure-fire way to get evicted.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have been trying to get my lawyer, paid lawyer to sign off of my case so that i can speak with DHS about lack of

Child support. Do i have any recourse to force him off my case? He has been telling me he would do this for over a year

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Jul 13, 2020

Hire another lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law and Divorce for Oklahoma on
Q: My husband and I did not receive premarital counseling before we married on May 10, 2023. Do we have a valid contract??

My fully paid for home in Moore was destroyed by a tornado 10 days after we married. The proceeds from that ($250,000) were invested in the husband’s property. Can I get any of that property back?

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim answered on Jun 24, 2020

The first question is a hypothetical, which I can't answer since I don't know what the law will in May of 2023. The second question is that if the original home that was destroyed had your name on the deed, or was by financial equity of some kind marital property then you have a pretty... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Lemon Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Why does my carfax show a date 1-17-2019 and mileage at 101802 when I have a service report that's dated 1-7-2019 with

The mileage reported at 101989. How is it 11 days later the miles are reported to dmv at 101802? Seems fishy to me.

Please help seems like possible rolled back mileage.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 9, 2020

This is not a legal question; nor is it evidence of odometer tampering. It is a mistake.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I sell a vehicle that someone abandon in my driveway?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 24, 2020

I'm sorry your post remains open for four weeks. This is really something an Oklahoma attorney would need to advise on, as laws for determining abandonment could vary by jurisdiction. An attorney should be able to advise as to what good faith measures you would need to take to demonstrate due... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Construction Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on
Q: living in this rental home since march of 2019. In May of that year the heat/air entire unit went out. what can I do?

I have been with no air all summer, do have window units but its now winter and I have 2 dogs that stays inside. there is no heat provided at all. The air ducts and installation is still not installed and its been like that since May 2019. At time of the lease signing everything was working.

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Nov 4, 2019

You must contact the landlord in writing notifying him/her of the problem.Title 41 section 121 of the Oklahoma statutes can be read by you but says the following. C. Except as otherwise provided in this act, if, contrary to the rental agreement or Section 18 of this act, the landlord willfully or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Intellectual Property for Oklahoma on
Q: Grantee filed fraudulent deed, when grantor was deceased & allotment was restricted under indian law, what can be done?
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 16, 2019

And attorney can help you file an action to quiet title.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: For an appointment with a Psychiatrist, when the patient shows up to the office and pays, does a contract exist?

I am currently waiting in my dr’s waiting room and it’s 2 hours after My scheduled appointment. I’ve signed in and paid my copay. I should just switch doctors but he is the only one around who takes my insurance. I know dealing with doctors can be tricky, but his reviews all say that this is... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 11, 2019

The amount of money involved is way too small to be of interest to most lawyers. FYI, the law is not designed to solve every little problem that comes your way during this lifetime; the Latin phrase for this rule is "De minimus non curat lex."

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: If an investor contributes more than an owner do they automatically own part of the business and right to make decisions

The investor was treated as an owner but was not officially because they were worried it would affect their food stamps/unemployment (they were employed also). The business does not have an operating agreement and the investor dissolved the business without my signature. They withdrew all the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 20, 2019

Unless otherwise agreed in writing, the larger amount of money invested in a business by an investor does not mean the investor "automatically owns part of the business." However, you are throwing legal terms around without fully explaining all the important details underlying this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I file Chapter 13 on Sept 2010 and discharged on Aug 2015. Bank is just now suing for past notes and foreclosure

I didn't know the property statue until I purchase my current property in Dec 2016. It was up for tax sale and the bank bail it out (May 2018) I try to sell it and the bank quoted $170,000 over the original loan of $125,000. So I went out in July 2018, fixed up the property and now rented it... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 6, 2019

You have a mess. You need to contact a bankruptcy attorney who can assess your financial situation and determine what I Teresa, if any, you have in the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Copyright for Oklahoma on
Q: They is a woman that is flirt with a married man that is my husband

Me and my husband have two kids and this woman that has been hitting on my husband she dose not care

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on May 28, 2019

If all that this woman is doing is flirting with your husband, that's not illegal.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is a builder's 1 year warranty the same as a structural warranty for a new built home?

Our home was built in 2017, but appears to have structural issues. Would the builder be liable on a structural warranty?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 24, 2019

The only way you will ever know is to try to sue the builder under the "structural warranty."

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Does the animal cruelty laws in state of oklahoma also applies from dr associated or veternary visit at a local petco?

A family member of mine's service in training dog was abused in choke position while the 1 year old puppy was screaming and crying while customers were staring at the vet dr at local petco. Plus the female doctor was also hitting him on the head and nose because of improper medical training... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 20, 2019

The answer to your question depends on the definition of "animal cruelty" under Oklahoma statutory law. If you are still interested in learning whether the vet's treatment is covered, hire a lawyer who specializes in animal law in Oklahoma.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am going to purchase a piece of property from my niece and her husband currently own. I am also going to buy

a park model mobile home to put on that property. I will have a mortgage on that property. I would like to will the land and home to my niece free and clear. Is there some type of mortgage insurance I could purchase. what would you suggest?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 17, 2019

You do not need to talk to an insurance lawyer--at least not now. You need a lawyer experienced in writing last wills to advise you. Hire one.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.