Kuna, ID asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho

Q: If children adopted by parental grandparents. Are both non custodial parents responsible for arrears in child support

I hadn't paid child support from 2007 to 2012. When I got my job I immediately called child support and started paying tears and current. Children were adopted by grandparents in 2014. Current child support stopped. I now pay my rears as much as I can when I can. I feel as though I am the only non custodial parent paying rears. I just want to know if both non custodial parents are responsible.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The child support "program" in Idaho goes like this: we (Legislature) want PARENTS (rather than taxpayers, to pay for children! It's a "policy" enshrined in our codified laws. So, its very simple math: natural parents were 100% jointly, financially responsible for their children, until they're not. ThE ONLY thing that could relieve the natural parents of their financial responsibilities to their offspring, is ADOPTION by other people. From the MOMENT of adoption, the natural parent(s) FUTURE support stops! The State however assumes the legal authority to collect the money that was owed (by orders) or the amounts they dolled out to one or both natural parents until the kids were adopted. YOU are going through Idaho's (dirty secret - "its the money stupid"). Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.