Asked in Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Is there a way to have child support payments adjusted for a 15 year old who’s mother will not put him in school?

My husband has paid child support for his son, who is 15 years old, for the last 14 years, as ordered. The mother no longer adheres to the visitation they set In court. The mother refuses to enroll the child in public, private, or homeschool. The child has also been living back and forth between his mother and aunt for the past 3 years. What rights do my husband have as it pertains to these issues.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. He has a right to take her back to court and enforce the orders in place for his visitation, school, etc. To answer your question about child support payment adjustment, no. The child is entitled to his parent's financial support until he is 19 years old, joins the military, or becomes self-supporting, whichever comes first. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.