Dallas, TX asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: What type of lawyer should I hire to fight a credit report of a debt that has been discharged but not paid in full?

6 years ago, I broke a lease. My roommate and I were both on the lease. The apartment company came after me with the full amount. I paid half. The full amount was still listed in my credit report. My roommate contacted them and they discharged the full amount. The debt no longer shows on my report or on his. It's like it never existed. I understand they did this since the statute of limitation had expired. I recently applied for an apartment and they tell me that I have a lease violation and owe money. The full amount still shows on their data base. I rather pay the full amount and more to fight this than pay the apartment in full after I paid them half and they listed it as full somewhere I could not have seen unless applying for an apartment. Please recommend a type of lawyer to call.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: A Florida attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. It looks like you already have good legal insight into your matter, and it looks like you essentially hit the relevant practice areas of law you need. An experienced collections defense attorney should know what to do with this - if their experience includes housing/landlord-tenant based matters, that would be desirable. Once you start making calls and discussing the matter briefly with prospective attorneys with whom you feel confident, that would also help you decide. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.