Lincolnton, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: I’m a16 year old mother, I have a job and another safe place to go at the moment I’m living with my dad

It’s not a good situation we don’t get a long and he doesn’t want to help me get to work so I can start supporting my family and getting my life together the place I can go to will help me can I just take my kid and go what are my rights

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are a child and won't be able to freely decide (or at least as freely as any one in society can) the course of your life until you are 18 or emancipated. So assuming you want to limit your current options to your legal options (which is what someone with a family of their own ought to do), you will generally have to follow the orders of who ever has custody of you until you are 18 or seek emancipation. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.