Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: Can I own a gun

I was convicted of a felony 5 breaking and entering 20 years ago I recently had it sealed do you know if I can own a gun I live in Ohio

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter G. Cavell
Hunter G. Cavell

A: You should look to get your record sealed. Technically expunging a record does not exist in Ohio, but you could likely seal it. The problem you have is the crime is inherently violent, and you likely will not qualify for a firearms purchase until the record is sealed. You can speak with an attorney, or even the clerk of the county court where you pleaded guilty/were convicted. You should contact a lawyer who specializes in sealing records.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.