Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Can non violent convicted felons in the state of South Carolina get there guns rights back?

I am a convicted felon with multiple felonies all are non-violent. I have no violent charges on my record. My charges are 13 years old and I'm looking to get my gun rights reinstated if possible In my state. Please help me with this.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Hello,

No, as a felon you may not own, possess, hold, handle, or fire a firearm. The issue is not whether the felony is violent or non-violent, as the vast majority of felonies are non-violent. This issue is the felony conviction at all. The only way to restore your firearms rights as a felon is to seek a pardon from the Governor for your felonies, thus restoring your rights to possess firearms, vote, etc. Without this, it is illegal and potentially another charge.


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.