Chicago, IL asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Domestic Violence for Illinois

Q: I have not received any notice of hearing or procedures for divorce decree where my wife of 40years has divorced us

Divorced us in secret from me. I heard finalized March 26th 2020in Clay county of Minnesota. What can be done about no notice on divorce decree? Can I challenge judgment so I can have input into 40years of my life where I am a victim of domestic violence abuse against men by battered husband syndrome by intimate partner violence etc. Can I sue for abandonment and defamation of my character by people who violated my civil rights in 2017 in a legal nightmare family crisis where I filed a civil rights violation complaint against the state, the court, Fargo defender office and 4 members of my family to have dismissed my law case of 2017. Because of the domestic violence abuse of gaslighting tactics targeting me as victim has cost me everything I ever had and now I am homeless in Fargo ND. What can be done about no notice of hearing or procedures for divorce in a 49year marriage?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You say you are homeless. If she did not know how to find you to have you served, she could have served you by publication notice in a newspaper.

Call the Clay County, MN circuit clerk's office. Ask for a copy of your file. Have it emailed to you. See if there is anything you disagree with and, if so, contact a lawyer. Find a lawyer in that county that handles family law. Send the lawyer the dicuments you receive. Talk to lawyer about it and find out if there is anything you can do.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.