Victoria, TX asked in Criminal Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: Is there a way to fight this?

The police arrested me for a burglary of an inhabitants charge while removing jointly owned property from a motel room. When they got me to the facility they found a tiny bit of pot on me that I had found in the room. Arresting me for burglary was erroneous. But can they drop the burglary charges and only hold me accountable for the pot? Isn't the pot something to be dismissed on the " evidence" rule?

1 Lawyer Answer
James Michael Yanney
James Michael Yanney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hello,

In some instances, there may be arguments to be made that roughly follow your line of logic. However, the actual law is quite a bit more complex than "if Charge A is bad, then Charge B is also bad".

You should contact a competent attorney as soon as possible to discuss your situation and any possible legal defenses you may have.



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.