Sykesville, MD asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Maryland

Q: So I'm 17 and have been living with my grandparents for the past 5 years and they treat me very badly.

They've taken away all my rights and are an abusive like stage when they drink (every night). I'm not sure if I can make it to 18 with them like this and I honestly dont know what to do. I dont want to get involved with CPS again and I cant live with my mom as of now. My boyfriends parents said they'd take custody of my (as I trust them more than my family here) but my grandparents wont let me. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Assuming that your grandparents have custody of you through a legal proceeding, to become emancipated (which will allow you to make your own decisions) you will have to file a petition for emancipation in the same custody case. There is no guarantee that it will work but I suggest that you contact a local family/juvenile attorney in your area. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.