Washington, DC asked in Real Estate Law and Estate Planning for Maryland

Q: Can You Quiet Title A Property That Has Violation Broken Windows Doors Trash And Debris Excrement Reported Unreported

Will The Judge Grant The It If You Have No Claim Statement Or The Claim Statement Is That Its Self Or By Asking Or Just Based On Identification Identification And The Circumstances There Of Or Nature Of The Unmaintained Land

1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: "QUIETING TITLE" means settling any dispute on the ownership of particular property. The condition of the property is usually irrelevant. Someone can only quiet title to property they either have a recorded interest in (meaning something like a deed recorded in the Land Records) OR property they have possessed for 20+ years despite not having ownership in the Land Records.

If property is in bad shape, neglected and abandoned, it may be ripe for CONDEMNATION, which is a proceeding the government starts. A private person cannot condemn property.

That said, oftentimes neglected property in bad shape will go up for TAX SALE, and anyone who wishes can bid at the tax sale. In that case, the certificate holder can foreclose and clear up title by becoming the new owner.

While not legal advice, I hope that this information helps clarify some key terms. As with any litigation, it is a good idea to sit down with an attorney to get legal advice and/or representation before starting a quiet title action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.