Fenton, MI asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan

Q: What action can I take if the Secretary of State/DMV is falsely reporting that I committed a crime?

I was charged (but not convicted) with Minor in Possession of Liquor when I was 16. The case was dismissed. I was told the record would be expunged when I turned 18. I am now 23 and this incident is still showing up on my driving record (Why my driving record??).

This is now hindering my ability to find employment.

What action can I take? Can I sue?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Lots of questions here...who told you it would be expunged when you turned 18? And even if true, court records (which a judge would have the power to expunge) are different than the Secretary of State's records (which judges have no authority over).

My first step would be to reach out to the attorney who represented you. Failing that, I would gather all the records you have and bring them to an attorney who may be able to help you figure out what's going on. i can appreciate your frustration, and this would certainly be an unusual situation, but there may be an explanation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.