Hesperia, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: can my husband keep our refund and not let me have any?

My husband and I file married joint I am a teacher he owns his own business. He was able to write off a lot so we ended up getting lots of money back. He had the money out into his business account without consulting me. Now hat the money is in he says it is not mine it’s his bc he wrote off so much for the business. Now I am unable to get ahold of any of the tax return. Is this legal? What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nima Sabeti
Nima Sabeti
  • Lake Forest, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Generally, if you filed jointly you should have access to the taxes. As far as family law goes, part of your answer depends on if you are separated or in process of divorce. You may be able to get reimbursed for your share of the money. I would need more detail to precisely answer your question.


Nima | Attorney at law


Ali Heidari Saeid agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.