Canton, NC asked in Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: Can a 17 year old date a 24 year old in NC and not get into trouble? And will He go to jail if they have a baby ?

I’m 17 and my boyfriend is 24 and we had a baby together but we left his name off Because we was worried he’d get into trouble and get locked up and I don’t want that because I love him and I might be pregnant again with him and I want to be with him but I don’t know if they will throw him in jail for being with me and our son and possibly other baby. What can I do to make it okay for us to be together or is it already okay because I’m 17?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: A 17 year old is still a child, so yes, you can date if your parents allow it. 16 is the age of consent in North Carolina so unless you were having sex prior to being 16, he won't get into any criminal trouble or be 'thrown into jail (at least likely not for getting you pregnant) - so he really should be on the birth certificate. At 18, you can do what you want anyway so there really doesn't seem to be much of an issue here especially since you already have one child and may be expecting another. There really just isn't much reason to keep you apart at this point. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.