Modesto, CA asked in Adoption and Family Law for California

Q: Are there any laws or family codes that regard a parent who has had violent offenses?

Proving a parent is unfit based on past of criminal violence and domestic violence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, there are many Family Law codes regarding domestic violence. When making a child custody decision, the judge must look at the "best interests of the child." Family Code 3011 requires that a history of family violence be taken into consideration by the judge. In addition, the court will look at all "relevant factors" and past charges of criminal violence and domestic violence could be relevant to a child's best interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.