Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and International Law for California

Q: My naturalized citizen dad wants to return to the US after fleeing mail fraud charges from the 90s. Will he be detained?

My dad became a naturalized citizen in August of 1996. In July of 1999 he was charged with mail fraud under 18:1341. After fighting it for a while he returned to India without settling the case. The most recent Docket entry shows charges for fleeing and making threatening remarks (18:1073 and 875c) filed September 2003. He has been stopped and questioned at airports in the past due to an expired Interpol notice.

He regrets fleeing, and wants to visit me here in the States. Can he fix his legal situation when he gets here? Will he be arrested upon entry? Stopped at the airport? I don't see his name on Interpol's website, but it sounds like some countries can stop you anyway.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

chances are that there is still a bench warrant for is arrest in the system and he would be arrested upon trying to enter.

mail fraud is a serious case and I would suspect he would not be released with a low bail or any bail.

since he didn't show once, they would be reluctant to give him another chance.

you need to contact a local federal criminal lawyer in your area.........or ask for the federal public defender if he wants to surrender himself...........always do so with a lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.