California International Law Questions & Answers

Q: Where can I find a map of international waters of Asia that is acceptable to the IRS or courts?

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Answered on Feb 9, 2019
Timur Akpinar's answer
You could contact the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to inquire if they know who performs the equivalent of their services in Asian countries. The charts I use identify the National Ocean Service Coast Survey as a reference (with additional inputs from the Army Corps of Engineers and U.S. Coast Guard), and I also use Notices to Mariners, but it depends what application you are looking to use these for. You mention courts and IRS; I use these charts for reference and...

Q: Wired upfront for logo services from German designer who never performed. Isn't this intl wire fraud or something?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and International Law for California on
Answered on Jan 9, 2019
Dale S. Gribow's answer
need more info

police will probably say it is civil.........but if you can show an ongoing course of action to defraud others, then maybe they will assist.

you can always sue in small claims in callf for up to $10k

Q: I've been refused a J1visa twice due to a DUI for ommitting the arrest on the application, how can I be able to use esta

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Immigration Law and International Law for California on
Answered on Jan 4, 2019
Allen C. Ladd's answer
You will not be able to travel to the USA with a DUI arrest (even without conviction) within the past 5 years, because you are a public danger. You will need to get clearance from a "panel physician" who is on contract with the US consulate in France. Go to the consulate's website, or go to to look for a US immigration attorney in France, for further guidance. (If you don't find one in France, go to Germany in the listings, there are several I know of who handle this matter.)...

Q: I need to know who to contact to figure out why I was stopped at the Canada border and what I need to do to clear it up.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for California on
Answered on Oct 15, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
It sounds like a Canadian issue, not a U.S. issue, and it sounds like you did something bad after you realized that you forgot your passport, and you were permanently excluded by Canadian authorities. You might start with a Canadian immigration lawyer, and they don't hang out at Justia unless they are also US lawyers. Good luck.

Q: I am an international student with F1 visa, but I got a call from acting Agency for representation. What should I do?

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Immigration Law for California on
Answered on May 7, 2018
Carl Shusterman's answer
Jobs outside of your school are only available to international students who have completed one full academic year and who have a qualifying economic hardship or an emergent circumstance.

According to the DHS, a qualifying economic hardship entails "new, unexpected circumstances beyond [your] control," such as:

Loss of financial aid or on-campus employment (if the student is not at fault)

Large increases in tuition or living costs

Substantial decrease in the...

Q: What should I do when I want a divorce to a marriage that took place overseas

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and International Law for California on
Answered on May 6, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
You may file for divorce in the state in which you reside once you meet the criteria for divorce in that state. Obtaining jurisdiction over your husband in order to resolve property or custody and support issues is a more complex matter. Consult with a family law practitioner in California. You might try navigating to and the find a lawyer function. Input Family Law and your county of residence, and then read the reviews and endorsements rather than the ads.

Q: International student on F1 visa who are not earning and dont have ssn in US, are still obliged to pay child support?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Employment Law, Immigration Law and International Law for California on
Answered on Feb 18, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
Sounds like you are sufficiently naive to be scammed, so do the right thing, and get involved with your child. When it arrives, pay for and have an HLA test to prove that it’s yours. Your support obligation usually begins at birth, which is not before the HLA test. If it is your child, your child support can usually be computed from a chart. And, yes. You have to pay it. It’s your kid. The obligation is enforceable by international treaty in many, many countries. And, yes, you may need to...

Q: My father wants me to be the Internediator/power of attorney of the apartment he bought in prague, what are my risk?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and International Law for California on
Answered on Feb 9, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
It seems that the advice you need is about your responsibilities under Czech law. I haven't seen any Czech lawyers on Justia. If you are asking for your duties under US law, you should have a US lawyer read the agreement and advise.

Q: 4 months ago i purchased a customised snap filter for my brother’s wedding. Filter never showed up and no refund.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Internet Law for California on
Answered on Jan 23, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
The retainer will very likely exceed the value of whatever a customized seal filter is. Have you tried charging it back on your credit card? Have you reported it to the web merchant that deals with customer complaints?

Q: Hi. I have a question regarding international divorce. Please refer to the additional information.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and International Law for California on
Answered on Jan 20, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
You need to consult with a California lawyer, because jurisdictional questions are different in different states. As to an international perspective and US Constitutional standards, the California court could take jurisdiction over you and over the divorce, because it has you. It cannot take jurisdiction over the children residing outside the jurisdiction with her and it could not take jurisdiction over her. So, the issues potentially before the court -- if California allows it -- would be the...

Q: Would a POA for finances done in California be honored in Mexico?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and International Law for California on
Answered on Jan 7, 2018
Sally Bergman's answer
I believe only an attorney licensed in Mexico would be qualified to answer this. Some U.S. financial institutions who have branches in Mexico might accept one, depending upon all the circumstances, but generally speaking, I doubt anyone else would accept a California POA.


1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Federal Crimes, International Law and Municipal Law for California on
Answered on Dec 28, 2017
Richard Sternberg's answer
I’m not going to take the time for the historical research, but IIRC, California was surrendered to the US by Act of War from Spain at the end of the Spanish-American War. Nothing prior to the conquest counts at International Law unless the victor affirmatively adopts it. Often, the victor adopts prior common law, and even prior debt, as happened in the Revolutionary War. But, prior law does not survive silence.

Q: would it be legal to someone else' s products on my website and have my site name similar to the product name?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, International Law, Internet Law and Trademark for California on
Answered on Dec 2, 2017
Julie King's answer
The answer is it depends. If the person who owns the product and product name claims trademark rights to the product name and your name is substantially likely to cause confusion in consumers' minds as to who produced the product, then you would be infringing on the other person's trademark rights. For example, if you sold shoes with a "swoosh" similar to Nike's, but not EXACTLY the same as Nike's, the legal question would be whether the person who buys your shoes is likely to think they...

Q: used to be illegal from Mexico twice, returned on my own 11 years ago. Can I marry a us citizen and move to the us?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Federal Crimes and International Law for California on
Answered on Oct 24, 2017
Ashley Negrette's answer
Yep! Your case is not a simple case. I recommend having an attorney review your options before you file anything with USCIS.

Q: Hi, we are international students doing our masters in SAN FRANCISCO. We have a problem with our ex-tenant about deposit

2 Answers | Asked in International Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Answered on Jun 30, 2017
Richard Sternberg's answer
Yes, I can help you by telling you what to do in this situation: Get a qualified lawyer who practices L&T law in your county in California. Town ordinances are very significant in establishing L&T law in California, and I'm told you REALLY need a lawyer if the part of California you are in includes Berkeley. While your argument may sound logical, I'm willing to bet you've violated at least a half-dozen sections of L&T ordinances, and that may well decide how hard and fast you should be there i...

Q: Can i cross the San Diego/ San Clemente internal checkpoints with DACA?

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Immigration Law for California on
Answered on May 31, 2017
Louis George Fazzi's answer
Take the train, Amtrak from Los Angeles to San Diego. If you're in Orange County, you can board in Fullerton, Anaheim and a number of other locations along the route. Google Amtrak and look for LA to San Diego. It's the best way to go, very comfortable and you won't have to worry about any checkpoints.

If you have to drive, you shouldn't run into any problems, but for me the train is easier, cheaper and fun to ride.

Good luck.

Q: Can an international underage student live alone and pay his own rent in California, while in high school?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, International Law and Juvenile Law for California on
Answered on May 13, 2017
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.'s answer
You may need to file for emancipation, otherwise your parents may face neglect charges. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce...

Q: How do I sue someone in another country?

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for California on
Answered on May 12, 2017
Richard Sternberg's answer
If you are asking how to bring a suit in a foreign country, you retain a lawyer in the appropriate country. If you are asking how you sue someone who lives in a foreign country in a US federal or state court, you review the facts establishing jurisdiction with a lawyer licensed to practice in the jurisdiction in which you want to sue.

Q: Filing I-130 & I-485 I'm married to a Chinese woman who is here on a traveling visa but it has exspired. What to do?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for California on
Answered on Apr 2, 2017
Kyndra Mulder's answer
File the I-130 and the I-485 for your wife as you state in your facts. Your wife is forgiven the overstay because she is adjusting through you - an immediate relative assuming you are a USC.

Recently the USCIS is questioning the motive of persons who marry after overstaying their visa. This will be a red flag.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.