Marion, OH asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Ohio

Q: How should I handle fighting this charge from a fake domestic violence claim?

My ex girlfriend was supposed to drop my son off. She called when she parked on my street and I told her I'd be out to get him. She came inside while I got pants and shoes. My son was asleep. I tried to put him in bed, but he woke up. I got him food and let him eat in my room. While I did this, my ex went to her car and grabbed the smart tv I had bought for my son (so he was able to watch YouTube and Hulu). She was setting the tv up when I came back out. She was being rude with me (which happens with every conversation, text and call) so I asked her to stop. She kept going. I said something defending myself. She then said she's leaving with the tv and my son. I told her she wasn't taking my son. She then began hitting, yelling and broke the tv on me. I helped her load the tv and strap my son into his car seat. She the went home and called the police saying I hit her and broke the tv. It's just my word vs hers. She also was told before this that she couldn't be inside of my house.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you've been charged with a crime out of this, you need to hire an attorney. Unfortunately, unfounded allegations like this can cause you a ton of trouble.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.