Naugatuck, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: Can you explain a citizen's arrest, and can you be charged with resisting a citizen's arrest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tsion Abate Chudnovsky
Tsion Abate Chudnovsky
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA


Private individuals have the authority to make a "citizen's arrest" to detain someone they reasonably suspect of committing a felony crime. The crime does not need to occur in their presence as long as a felony was actually committed by the person. If a felony crime did not in fact occur, then the individual making the citizen's arrest could be civilly and criminally liable.

People cannot make a citizen's arrest for misdemeanor offenses unless the crime involves a "breach of peace." Even with a breach of peace, individuals can only make a misdemeanor citizen's arrest when they have personally observed the criminal behavior and the breach has just happened or it is highly likely the breach will continue.


It is not necessarily a crime to resist a citizen's arrest, but doing so can trigger assault charges if the resisting party assaults the person lawfully applying force to make the citizen's arrest. Unlike with law enforcement arrests, there is no duty to comply with the arrest if resisting can be done without committing assault.


Anyone making a citizen's arrest does so at their own risk. Apprehending criminals in inherently dangerous, especially when you are not a uniformed, armed peace officer. Failing to meet the legal requirements for the arrest can also have serious legal consequences for the citizen making the arrests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.