Huntington, NY asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: My mother-widow, 80- owns her house. My siblings want to be on deed to avoid probate. Need help with forms RP5217, TP584

My father died more than 10 years ago, and we wish to remove his name from the deed and avoid future probate by including our names on the deed. My mother will retain ownership of her house, but we'd like to get our names on the deed. How would we define the "condition of conveyence" on form TP584 for these circumstances? Also, other than death certificate for my father and current deed, what documents do we need to submit? Lastly, I'm a non-NYS resident, so what are my obligations for form TP-584? Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I charge $500 plus the recording fees to do a deed. It would take less time to do it than explain it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.