Buffalo Grove, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: 2 different versions of a Joint Parenting Agreement. One has the courts stamp on it with the date and case number,

and the other does not. How do I know which one is on file and approved by the court. Divorce was 5 years ago but now I'm looking at one version and my ex is looking at the other version. There are big differences between them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If one copy is stamped "Filed" by the appropriate Circuit Court Clerk, it's a pretty safe bet it's the one that is in force (unless there has been a modified one filed later). The unstamped copy is probably a rough draft copy exchanged between the attorneys when they were trying to hammer things out. If you're in doubt, go to the courthouse and ask for a certified copy of the document. It will typically cost less than $20.00, and should eliminate any doubts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.