Leland, NC asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for North Carolina

Q: Do I have a case against the builder of my house for the work they subcontracted out?

We built our house approximately 6 years ago and we have had several issues with the AC system since we moved in. The builder of our house used a subcontractor for our AC system. We have repeatedly reported issues about our system over the years and they kept sending out the subcontractor to fix them and they never did, they just said there was nothing wrong. Eventually the subcontractor went out of business.

A separate company evaluated and they said that incorrect equipment and ductwork was installed. The units are not the correct size for the house, the units are different sizes so they cant balance, the units are not the right type for the humid climate. The ductwork was the wrong size, they're not connected properly, and there are no dampers in the ducts.

We reported this to the builder and they said it wasn't their problem, it was the subcontractors issue and since they're out of business its our problem.

Are they responsible?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You have a "statute of repose" issue. If it has been six years or longer, even if you did have a claim against your general contractor, it is too late to sue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.