Detroit, MI asked in Divorce, Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: What is the process of getting emancipated if petitioning to the court isn’t an option?

I have been having major issues with my adoptive family for as long as I can remember and I am finally at the point where I can’t take any more. My 16th birthday is approaching soon and I have a stable job with a great income and I am trying to go about emancipation so that I can move on from the years of mental abuse by the people who took me in legally but ostracise me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook Esq
Cathy Cook Esq
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am also sorry to tell you that, in Ohio, there is no ability for a minor to emancipate herself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.