Kankakee, IL asked in Family Law, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: I am legally separated. My husband's ex-wife wants me to contribute to their child's college tuition.

My husband and I have been legally separated for 9 months, we do not have children together. He has a child from a previous marriage and the mother of the child wants me to contribute to paying for the child's post-secondary education.

Can the mother make\request the court to do that?

Will there be some type of income assessment of all the parents?

I'm unable to afford an attorney so any resources to review would be great. Thanks!

1 Lawyer Answer
George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
  • Grayslake, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You state that you can't afford an attorney, but you are being asked to contribute to a college fund. You are going to need to pay somebody. It's probably less expensive in the long run to hire the attorney. Seek out a free consultation and ask for a cost estimate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.