Miami, FL asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Florida

Q: Hello I need help confirming a business name that I’ve “registered” and someone is possibly challenging this name

I’ve researched and seems the format I am using wasn’t registered previously “as I have listed” and have processed the necessary paperwork to register at the state level and per fictitious name guidelines as well what can I do if they persist?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your inquiry is a bit vague as to whether your corporate name and/or fictitious name are registered with the Fla. Division of Corporations exactly as you intended. That is - does the name appearing on match the name you are using? Only names that are registered are protected - that is, no one else may legally use those names, and if they do, legal action may be taken (or start with a threat of legal action). If you are using a name that is unregistered, you need to fix it. If someone else registered a name that you wanted to use, but did not register, that party has the right to use that name, and you don't.

Adam Savett
Adam Savett
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Allentown, PA

A: I agree that it isn't exactly clear what you are asking.

You can search the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations website for lots of information, such as:

Name of Company -

Fictitious Name Registration -

Name of Trademark -

Trademarks can also be registered at the Federal level.

You can search the Federal database, here -

To be clear, just because you have "registered" a name or filed a fictitious name registration does NOT mean that you can use that name with no consequences.

If, for example, I registered the fictitious name or tried to incorporate as the "Ford Automobile Company" there is a very good chance that the good folks at Ford Motor Company would be able to get my filings invalidated as too confusingly similar to their already existing and in use name. This can get complicated. What if my name is "Ford"?

You really should talk to an attorney so they can get the full scope of what has happened and what you want. The consequences of not doing so could be lots of wasted time and money when you have to change your company's name or defend a trademark infringement lawsuit.

Best of luck.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.