Dallas, TX asked in Employment Law for Texas

Q: What can I do about my employer deleting hours I have worked?

I have discovered that my current employer is altering/deducting hours from my time card. For hours that I did indeed work. Sometimes it is just 30 min here, or an hour there. But this last week, they deleted almost 6 1/2 hours from one day.

We do not get check stubs. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert

A: The situation as you've described it sounds like a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act, particularly if you are paid by the hour and your employer's deductions result in a loss of overtime hours worked. How did you find out about this? Are you allowed to ask for your clock-in and clock-out records? To the extent you have access to documentation regarding your hours worked, ask for it and keep it. You should also independently track your shift start and stop times to ensure you have an accurate record of how much you work.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.