Hickory, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: I pay child support through dss but would like to have my child living with me. She is 14 and has been with me since Feb

Her father and i have never had any kind of custody order drawn up. What steps do I need to take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The best step would be to consult with a local family law attorney as they would be able to give you the best advice. That said, it appears like you need to file a child custody action in your county and either come to an agreement on custody or have it heard before a judge. I don't practice in Catawba County so can't speak to any particular steps that are required beyond the standard requirements for filing any custody claim.

You would then need to address your child support issue. I'm not sure how DSS is involved - Child Support Services (CSS) is the agency in North Carolina that deals with child support payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.