Asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: Need to know type of lawyer needed

Lent car to a friend to have brakes worked on Friday. Per State police, car was in a hit and run at 4pm Fri. My parents were called at 1030pm, saying car will be towed, if your daughter doesn't call by midnight. (I am visiting from TX.) I returned home after 12mid. Tried to return call, but it was too late. Called police office, Sun-Mon-Tues, I was told officer won't be in until Weds. On Weds, the officer said she will release hold if I bring in my insurance info. I asked to see car first because the person driving denied an accident. My car was at a towing facility, as abandoned. I have an Audi 2016, Q 5, the windows were down, area had a lot of rain, inside of care, flooded. THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO MY CAR outside.! The officer said she does not care about the name of the person, just insurance info in case the car that was hit wants to file a claim. There is no accident report. USAA wants to tow car, but now officer is off work. What type of lawyer do we need?

1 Lawyer Answer
George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
  • Grayslake, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Start with a criminal attorney in IL who does traffic tickets even though you weren't driving. Stop talking to the police. Once you get your car back, you can worry about getting it fixed and who pays for the damage. Luckily, you have insurance. USAA will probably take it from there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.