Roseburg, OR asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: Can I just do parent plans for visitation between my ex and I and just have notarized or do I have to go to court.

I live in Oregon and she is in Virginia. We had verbal agreement but wondering if we can write something up and take it to be notarized if that would be a legal document so I can get her for Christmas every other year and during the summer. Daughter is 14.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Afsana Chowdhury
Afsana Chowdhury
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Parties can enter into a written agreement regarding issues like child custody, visitation, and child support. However, if you want the agreement to be enforced by the JDR Court, you should hire an attorney who can assist you with having it incorporated into a consent order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.