Ratliff City, OK asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Is a custody modification likely?

My ex and I divorced 6 years ago, our child was 2 at the time. She got physical custody and I got a standard visitation schedule with joint legal custody.

In February of this she began allowing our child to spend every other week with me which continued through the summer. When school started I asked if we would be continuing our “new” schedule and she told me it was never a new schedule and I should have been happy she gave me any “extra” time. Since that conversation she has blocked my number, except to send me argumentative text messages, effectively blocking my communication/access to my child outside of my court ordered visitation time.

There have been multiple other issues with her refusal to co-parent in the past but never to this extent. We live in the same community, provide similar stability, and I have always participated in my child’s life. (Visitation, school activities, P/T meetings etc.)

Do I gave a case for requesting joint physical custody or more visitation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: As with most legal questions the answer is usually … depends. When it comes to custody/more visitation there usually needs to be a significant change in order to modify. However, based on the few details that you provided, she has shown an acceptance to allowing more visitation in which that would be hard for her to argue against. You should sit down with a family law attorney and discuss a motion to modify. During that interview, the attorney can gather some more information and steer you the exact way you need to proceed. In the meantime, you must follow the guidelines of the court order, but likewise, your ex must follow it also, and if she denies you visitation, then you can file motion to enforce.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.