Simi Valley, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: I live in California. My husband left 8 months ago, took the money from our bank account and squandered it in Vegas

He quit his job and later took early retirement when he realized he had no money to live on. I had to refinance the house to be able to afford it. The loan is in my name but his name is on the title along with mine since he wouldn't quit claim it over. If we sell the house will they split the proceeds 70/30 if he agrees to it? Also, if I file for divorce now and move to another state in a few months, will this cause a problem with the divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sandy Lynne Meade
Sandy Lynne Meade
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First, the courts will allow you and your spouse to settle the terms of your divorce any way you want. the judge may want to confirm the agreement is fair under the facts--offset for husbands depletion of community assets while gambling and his abandoning you to pay the bills on your own sounds to be sufficient reason for the disparity in division on the house. if you file in the county where you have resided for 6 nos and later nove, if your spouse does not live in the county you filed in, then you may be stuck with a change of venue motion. as long ad either of you live in that county, nothing changes but if neither party lives in the state and county where the action was filed then the court may not have jurisdiction and may require the case transferred to the state and county where one or both of you reside

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.