Providence, RI asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: What to do when a custody issue isn't taken seriously by the court?

Simple. My daughter and I had a great relationship 6 months ago to absolutely nothing. The court has a mountain of evidence proving emotional and psychologically abuse.

The ARC attorney is only sharing my daughter's wishes. I filed motions, emergency motions, contempt actions as well as contact DCF and the ombudsman. I asked for a GAL but it wasn't granted. Her father and his wife destroyed our relationship based on lies and assumptions which I already proved in court to be false. I'm about to write to the Governor of MA for their screwed up court system.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Has your case gone to trial or is it at the temporary orders stage? Temporary orders can be changed as circumstances change ,so although there is an Interlocutory appeal process generally cases are appealed that have gone to Judgment and there are rules of procedure that must be promptly followed if appealing. Sometimes the Court will order evaluation by the Court Clinic or Probation Office rather than appointment of a Guardian ad litem. If you had counsel he or she could advise you on the paths to take.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.