Long Beach, NY asked in Libel & Slander for New York

Q: I am filing poor person papers to waive $210 index fee in court.The clerk is hassling me abit

Article 11 and talking about fraud in trying to apply as a poorperson question is,could the courts try to claim I am committing fraud when applying for poor person status?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Here is a resource that might be helpful. It's from the NYS Unified Court System:

What to Say in a Fee Waiver Request

The Affidavit given to the Court to support your fee waiver request should include the following information:

- state that you are unable to pay the costs, fees and expenses needed to start or defend the case (or to start or

answer an appeal);

- explain the nature of the case, tell the court what the case is about;

- include facts about your case that show there is merit to your claims;

- include a detailed explanation of the amount and sources of your income;

- include a detailed list of your property with its value;

- indicate whether any other person would benefit from any award in your case, and if so, whether that person is

unable to pay the costs fees and expenses.

Different Judges require different proof to decide your fee waiver request. So, the court may ask you to submit additional items to prove you do not have the money to pay your court costs.

For additional information, visit the page from the NYS Court System's website: http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/GoingToCourt/feewaiver.shtml

Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.