Denver, CO asked in Divorce for California

Q: MSA notarization in a different state then state we filled for divorce

My spouse and I are in the divorce process in California, LA county (uncontested, default), no assets, no children, etc..Now, the next step is to file MSA (martial settlement agreement) with court. We have it ready and we just need to sign it. However, signature of my spouse must be notarized and she is currently in Florida with her family visiting, so, can she notarize MSA in Florida? Is there a problem if MSA is notarized in a different state then the state we filed for divorce? Also, i just moved out of CA to Denver, so, just my spouse is CA resident. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The attestation by a Notary merely shows that a duly appointed person verified the signature as being that of the person it purports to be. Notaries in the US are licensed to practice in their home state, but truthfully the requirements are about the same nationwide. (not so in foreign countries like Mex., Central or So. America- where notario publico are very much like attorneys). There should not be a problem for the signature to be notarized in a state different from the one in which the case is pending. If in doubt, contact the Court's self help office or a local Family Law attorney.

Justia Disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.