New York, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Can I get a statement of correction of equipment defect in New Jersey if I got a uniform traffic ticket in New York?

I have a New Jersey license plate and driver's license and I received a uniform traffic ticket a few days back in upstate New York for one of my headlights not functioning. I was told by the police officer that I will have no penalties or points if I can have my headlight bulb replaced and inspected at any police department and get a statement of correction for equipment defect signed by the officer and mail the document to the court in by 09/23/2020. I did replace my headlight bulb myself without any help from any repair shop.Everything is functional now. I went to 3 different police departments in Jersey City (place of my residence) and no one was able to help me with statement of correction. In fact, they had no idea of such document. Since, I did not take any help from any repair shop, they would not sign the statement of correction for me. What should I do? Is there a way I can sign the statement of correction myself with necessary proofs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Mineola, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Have you considered retaining an attorney in NY to handle this for you? My office routinely handles these types of situations to save folks from the headaches of dealing with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.