Candler, NC asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: if custodial parent leaves the country for 2 years Leaves my son with his parents

per his passport, he is self employed, teaching English to Thai online, with his LLC and moved out of country from 11/2017-06/2020. He has been back and forth maybe 4 times, for a short visit.( I am filing for modification of custody), but he also collects SSDI for my son, who is DS and I pay child support, can I report him for fraud to SS and STATE Of FL? He did not report any changes with SS or the courts, as to changes. He also got married out of the Country and is now backing states and wife is filing divorce and he just claimed bankruptcy and is fing for more support from myself (the mother)

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: What do you believe he did to defraud Social Security and the State of Florida? A custodial parent can hire someone to look after the child; so he could in theory also leave your son with his parents, although the court may well hold it against him in deciding your motion to modify custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.