Las Vegas, NV asked in Adoption and Family Law for Nevada

Q: My ex and her daughter live with me. The daughter isn't my Biological child but i consider her my child so do they both

I would like to adopt or step I'm just not sure how to do it. Me and the mother are not romantically involved but we are best friends any help you could give would be great

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Adoption would be possible only if the child’s biological father’s rights have already been terminated, or if he is willing to forfeit his parental rights. If the child’s biological father intends to keep his parental rights, then the court will not grant those rights onto additional parties.

Additionally, becoming a step-parent is only possible when the child’s parent marries a new spouse. If you and your ex were never married, or do not intend to be, the step-parent/step-child relationship would not be possible. Even after a divorce, a step-parent wanting to continue legal guardianship may petition the court, however again, one of the parents would have to be unwilling or unable to care for and support the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.