Salt Lake City, UT asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Insurance Defense and Probate for Utah

Q: Life Insurance is asking for prescription list, autopsy and toxicology reports. How do I obtain these if Im not related?

BF died of drug intoxication. Insurance is asking for prescription list, autopsy and toxicology. We were not married how do I obtain these? I doubt his family will help me obtain one.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Obtain some sort of official demand from the life insurance company and give a copy to the sources of the documents you need. This may work.

Attorneys can normally obtain these items with a letter saying they need it for their client to obtain insurance.

If neither of these work, then you may have to file a lawsuit against the life insurance company, and then you can get a court order if they refuse to give you the documents.

Ken Prigmore

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.