Bethesda, MD asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: My ex and I filed Ch7 in 2015, mortgage was discharged. We divorced 2020 and he quitclaimed home to me.

How can I get his name off the discharged mortgage? I have the quitclaim deed and divorce paperwork showing it is mine. Im sick of him being able to access mortgage info as well as things being mailed to him from the bank. The property is in VA.

1 Lawyer Answer
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL

A: You can only accomplish this by refinancing the mortgage. Now is a good time because the rates are so low.

The bank has no obligation to release the lien of the mortgage unless it was stripped in bankruptcy.

Good Luck: go see a lawyer.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.