Greensboro, NC asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: I was wondering if my friends parents can get in trouble for letting me stay with them?

im 17, live in north carolina, and ran away from home. My mom wants me to come back and i know she cant do anything to get me but i was wondering if she could get my friends parents in trouble for letting me stay with them. i read something about "harboring" but i dont know if this is valid. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are still a child (at least until you turn 18) so your parents certainly can do something to make you return home. As to your friends parents getting into trouble, it is not likely but certainly possible as they are likely committing several crimes such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor, aiding and abetting, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.