Chula Vista, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California

Q: My mother has land that she is trying to get placed into her name. The property is in my deceased grandmothers name

The land was left to my mom and her other two siblings. The two other siblings are deceased now and my mom wants to put the land in her name now to write her will. what documents and paperwork does she need to get this process going? Also she has more land that she has that is in my brother's name and she wants to be the sole owner of the property. Is there anyone who can help me with this process. I do not know the procedures of proper formalities to take to assist my mom.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Purcell
Jonathan Purcell
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in California

A: To begin with you will need to gather together the testamentary documents (wills, trusts, and property deeds), pertaining to your deceased Grandmother and Uncle, and hire an attorney to review the documents, organize the information, and write a report on the current ownership of the properties, and the steps required to transfer the properties into a trust for your Mother.

Jonathan Purcell is a California Attorney. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended nor should be construed as legal advice for any particular case or client. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney. This posting is not intended to constitute an advertisement or a solicitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.