Q: Do i have rights to leave a treatment program and choose one that is best for me if i was not court orders

Im on probation and my out patient counsoler recommended me for intensive Outpatient Treatment because I missed a few classes I also missed one of those so she then in turn contacted my probate probation officer and told her that I need intensive outpatient treatment she's and made me go to a program here in Omaha Nebraska that made me very uncomfortable and it was very unsanitary now the alleged probation officer is making me do 30 days in the county jail and then 30 days treatment after that I've never had a dirty UA I'm supposed to be on traditional probation not staff probation and that's not what they're doing with me whom can I speak to about

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If there is another treatment program that is a better fit and the person has been accepted into that program, then it is possible to transition a person from one program to the other. The person would want to coordinate with the probation officer to make sure they are also aware of the transfer and not objecting to such. That being said, if the person leaves a treatment program with just the hope or want of getting into a different program, then they very well could expect to have a motion to revoke probation for leaving the treatment program without permission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.