Austin, TX asked in Employment Law, Business Law, Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Texas

Q: How do I protect myself from employee retaliation after reporting my boss for racial discrimination?

I work for a technology recruiting company in Texas. One of the Managing Partners discriminates against potential candidates based on national origin (Indian nationals, specifically, but I have also witnessed discrimination against African-Americans and people of Asian decent). I feel he is a liability to myself, the company, the company's new parent company, and our clients (who he implicates in discriminatory email correspondence). How do I protect myself from employee retaliation? I feel this needs to be reported internally, as well as made known to the clients he is implicating. I am not asking for anything. I am just concerned about him as a liability for myself, my colleagues, and the clients we serve. What are the steps I need to take in order to make sure this is done the right way? Thank you for your time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH

A: You should report the discriminatory actions of your boss to the Human Resources Department in writing. The HR department should then do an investigation into your complaints. The company, including the Managing Partner, is prohibited from retaliating against you for complaining about and opposing actions that are made unlawful by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. You can contact an employment lawyer in your area for assistance with the specifics of your complaint to HR.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.