Kalamazoo, MI asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I am the mom. How can I transition from supervised visitation to sole custody of my son? His father is a domestic abuse?

I was pregnant and isolated by my son's father in a town where him and I didn't know anyone except one person. That person was not there to help us take care of our new baby. So, I experienced severe stress and exhaustion due to lack of sleep and barely any help from my son's father with the housework and caring for the new baby. My son's father would verbally abuse me often. I was admitted to the hospital and they claimed I had postpartum psychosis. I was overmedicated and couldn't walk or take care of myself after I was discharged. My son's father told me that my mother couldn't be involved in my life and told her over the phone that he would shoot her if she came to our house to visit us. After more abuse and more hospital stays due to my PTSD, I went to the domestic violence shelter with my son. However, I was scared of my son's father's possible retaliation, so I gave my son to his paternal grandmother. I have a lawyer and a therapist now. No abuse or neglect by me, just ideations

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Since you indicate you now have an attorney - you need to follow the advice of your attorney. However, the answer to the question you asked is if the father will not agree to giving you sole custody you will have to take it by filing and winning a custody action in the appropriate court. For that, you will need an attorney so it is a good thing you already have one. Best of luck.

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.