Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: Summary probation when fined with i.d. theft..... Gave false name when police got us for being out during covid

Im in CA and am facing an identity theft charge; I used an old classmates name out of fear. The officer was intimidating and now knowing how the jail is in my county, had me just purging her name and bday. I got fined for being out during covid and it eventually came back to me. Now I have a court date and fear Ill be locked up. What are the chances and what can I do/say to lessen the blow, painless keeping me away from jail time? TIA!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

you should set up a consultation with a criminal lawyer in your city asap.

if you can't afford a lawyer one will be provided for you at the 1st court date.

write out a detailed summary so that the lawyer can spend more time thinking about the case rather than playing secretary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.